Job Vacancy – Board Director of Foundation East
Job Description – Board Director of Foundation East
Foundation East is a mission driven mutual society based in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. It promotes social and financial inclusion by providing affordable loans and support to businesses located across the UK. It raises money through the sale of membership shares, by obtaining grants and securing debt finance. It earns income from interest charged on the loans it makes and by delivering loan contracts on behalf of other social and impact motivated organisations.
Foundation East has been operating for almost 15 years and in this time, has made a measurable difference to businesses, to communities and to individuals.
The Society recognises that to be both proactive and reactive in the SME and Social Enterprise finance market place it needs to change. Can you, as a Board Director, support the Board and the Chief Executive of this strong organisation through to and beyond the next phase of its development?
Foundation East is seeking to appoint new Directors to its Board to provide input and guidance. We are keen to increase the diversity of our Board and would welcome applications from applicants of all genders and from all backgrounds.
The successful candidate will be enthusiastic to get involved, be willing to learn and ideally possess the following criteria:
- Have some senior management experience including understanding corporate governance including risk management and financial control;
- Have some experience in corporate finance structures and public sector finance mechanisms;
- Have experience in and understanding of the small business and social enterprise sectors and recognise the challenges these sectors face when seeking to raise finance;
- Have experience in and be prepared to contribute towards the development of strategic business plans;
- Have good communication and presentation skills and be willing to represent the organisation at external events and meetings;
- Is well connected with a wider network of individuals, organisations and stakeholders across the eastern region;
- Is able to support the Board Chair and the Chief Executive in the delivery of the plan including taking ownership of specific strategic actions.
The role demands close working relationships with diverse stakeholders, small business networks, social enterprise support networks, funders, investors, the board and the staff team.
To meet the demand of the business the Board Directors are expected to spend approximately 15 days a year on Society business.
Foundation East is a membership organisation and the person appointed would be required to become a Member.
Foundation East is authorised to provide Consumer Credit regulated loans. The person appointed will be required to become a Financial Conduct Authority Approved Person.
The role is voluntary. Reasonable expenses are paid.
This appointment will be for an initial term of three years with the option for two subsequent terms of three years.
Please submit your CV, and a cover letter detailing your reasons for your interest and suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Katy may also be contacted if you would like to discuss the role in advance of applying.